Cataratas del Niágara - Niagara Falls


Las cataratas del Niágara son un pequeño grupo de cascadas situadas en el río Niágara en la zona oriental de América del Norte, en la frontera entre los Estados Unidos y Canadá. Situada aproximadamente 236 metros sobre el nivel del mar; su caída es de aproximadamente 52 metros.

Comprenden tres cataratas: Las «cataratas canadienses» (Ontario), las «lupas americanas» (Nueva York) y las más pequeñas, las «cataratas Velo de Novia». Aunque no tienen una gran altura, son muy amplias, y son las más voluminosas de América del Norte, por pasar por ellas toda el agua de los Grandes Lagos.

Desde que fueron descubiertas por los colonizadores europeos se han hecho muy populares, no sólo por su belleza sino también por ser una fuente de energía y un desafiante proyecto de conservación medioambiental. Son un lugar de turismo compartido por las ciudades de Niagara Falls (Nueva York) y Niagara Falls (Ontario).



Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls is a Canadian city of 82,184 residents[1] on the Niagara River in the Golden Horseshoe region of Southern Ontario. It lies across the river from Niagara Falls, New York, and was incorporated on June 12, 1903.

The city is dominated by Niagara Falls, a world famous set of two large waterfalls on the Niagara River and benefits from the fact that both falls, the American and Horseshoe, can be best seen from the Canadian side of the river, thus presenting the city one of the major tourist attractions of the world. The natural spectacle brings in millions of tourists yearly. The city permitted the development of a tourist area along the falls and the gorge. This area which stretches along the Niagara River parkway and tourist promenade is particularly concentrated at the brink of the falls and, apart from the natural attractions along the river, includes huge parking lots, souvenir shops, observation towers, high-rise-hotels, casinos and theatres, mostly with colourful neon billboards and advertisements. Further to the north or south there are golf courses alongside historic sites from the War of 1812.











Guardado en: , ,